Ever since my daughter was big enough to socialize, I have always paid close attention to her interactions with others. I feel very strongly about letting kids be kids and not exposing them to adult content until they are adults.
Unfortunately, the world we live in does not agree with me and this has proven to be the most difficult part of my job as a parent.
I am constantly reminded of how different my views are whenever I meet other parents and I see that bad parenting is not due to social class, race, or religion. It is a choice people make and some parents choose to use an excuse that they are going to learn it anyway because their friends know.
I am always surprised to hear the jokes these kids they tell, the songs they sing, or movies they quote.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with giving this information to your child if you feel they are ready but you need to be the one to do it, not a movie!
Just because you had “the talk” with your kids doesn’t mean that they have a proper understanding of adult situations and topics.
Most of these kids couldn’t even cross a hallway with a pair of scissors without injuring themselves but yet they are exposed to adult content on a daily basis.
They are still kids but now they are armed with the lethal combination of exciting new information but with a child’s mind that just can’t understand how to process it yet.
Parents are really leaving a gap in their kids learning and doing them a great disservice by letting the media educate them.
If you are going to let you children know all there is to know about being an adult then you need to let them know everything! Don’t leave out the parts that you don’t want to talk about because it gets uncomfortable. If you have exposed your child to these situations, you have to explain them.
They are hearing and seeing adult content in your home and you are responsible for giving them that information. Some of the most common examples of Bad Parenting are:
- When you watch television like soaps or talk shows in the living room even though they can hear.
- When you talk on the phone with a friend while not paying any attention to your child and they can hear what you are saying. It makes it worse that they are only hearing half of this conversation but they are picking up the worst parts and are now more confused than ever.
- Taking your child to a movie that they should not be seeing just because you can’t get a babysitter.
- You let them watch adult movies and you think the jokes will go over their head because they couldn’t possibly understand them so it doesn’t matter.
- You let them have internet access without monitoring or restricting what they can see.
When you became a parent you took on the responsibility to raise a child until they are 18. You can’t just check out when you feel like it for your convenience. Nobody said this was easy and they really do pick up more from those movies, shows, and conversations than you think.
Your child is supposed to grow up to be a productive member of our society and without proper guidance from their parents they don’t stand a chance in the real world.
Do you let your children watch adult movies, listen to any music they want, or freely use the internet? What are your thoughts on Bad Parenting?