“This post is sponsored by Royal Canin™. I am being compensated for helping spread the word about the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin, but all opinions are my own. Royal Canin is not responsible for the content of this article.”
Ever since I can remember, I have always shared my home and my life with dogs. I have had many different breeds throughout the years and have learned which traits match with my personality best.
My German Shepherd Mix Mugsy is the perfect pet and in honor of the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin™ airing soon, I like to refer to my Mugsy as Best In Show for my family.
Mugsy is perfect for my family because his personality is a lot like mine. He enjoys going for walks but doesn’t mind skipping his stroll when the weather is bad, he likes to hang out at home and snuggle while I watch a movie.
He doesn’t require a ton of supervision like some of the other breeds and since he is a mixture of German shepherd, bulldog, and Collie, I think he brings the best characteristics from each breed to become Best in Show for my family.
I grew up an animal lover so it is no surprise that my daughter grew up to love dogs just as much as I do. We love to watch the dog shows and see the variety of breeds at their best while cheering for our favorites each year.
Dog shows are meant to determine which dogs are most suitable for the purpose for which they were bred, and should contribute to the gene pools of their breeds. How well a dog matches its breed standard will determine how well the dog places.
There are so many breeds to learn about and a lot of different factors to consider before selecting which dog would be Best in Show for your family. You can learn more about all of the different breeds and see which dog would fit in perfectly with your family by clicking here.
(Photo Courtesy of Mark Jordan)
Every dog breed was designed for a specific purpose to fill a specific need. If we understand the job for which breeds were originally created, it gives us a glimpse into why our dogs do the things they do.
Because every dog is different, with individual traits and needs, Royal Canin developed breed-specific diets to provide your particular breed with the best overall nutrition possible.
About the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin
- The AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin is returning to television via a new partnership with Hallmark Channel. The three-hour special, featuring America’s most beloved dog breeds, will premiere on Monday, January 23, 2017 at 6-9 p.m. ET/PT.
- The show will be anchored by AKC Vice President Gina DiNardo and sportscaster Jason Knapp and will feature special appearances by celebrity Jerry O’Connell.
- More than five thousand of the top national and international dogs are expected to compete in the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin, making it the largest dog show in North America with the largest monetary award in the world of dog sports.
- The three-hour pre-recorded special will feature winners from each of the competition categories, highlights from the Agility and Dock Diving competitions, and some of America’s brightest up and coming Junior Showmanship handlers, culminating in the crowning of Best in Show.
- The AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin was held in Orlando, Florida from Dec. 17-18, 2016.
Jerry O’Connell at the AKC National Championship 2016 Dog Show in the Orange County Convention Center, on Saturday, Dec. 17, 2016, in Orlando Fla. (Photo Courtesy of Michael Simon)
Are you as excited as I am to watch the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin on Monday January 23 at 6 p.m. ET ? Hop on twitter with me to win prizes and celebrate just hours before the broadcast at 3 p.m. ET.
Find Royal Canin on Twitter with the handle @RoyalCanin and on Instagram @royalcaninus