This Keto Stuffed Peppers recipe is perfect for those trying to follow a low carb diet. This is a quick, easy, and healthy dinner that is sure to hit the spot.
This keto meal combines ground beef, cauliflower rice, and melted cheese to make a delicious filling for tender and juicy peppers.
What Makes These Stuffed Peppers Keto
While the carbohydrate content in bell peppers can vary depending on their color and size, a variety of bell peppers can fit into a low-carb lifestyle.
A general rule of thumb is that all bell pepper varieties are relatively low in carbohydrates and can be incorporated into a low-carb or keto diet without a significant impact on net carb intake.
Thanks to ingredients like cauliflower rice, you can now enjoy low carb stuffed peppers without missing out on the rice.
This wonderful substitution not only provides a satisfying texture but also boosts the dish’s fiber and nutrient content, contributing to a more balanced, health-conscious low-carb meal.
The combination of juicy ground beef, flavorful taco seasoning, and the delightful melding of melted cheese make these stuffed peppers a wholesome and savory option for anyone seeking to maintain a keto-friendly lifestyle.
Whether you’re a committed follower of the diet or simply aiming for a delicious and guilt-free meal, these keto stuffed peppers are sure to please your taste buds while aligning with your nutritional goals.
Variations on this Keto Stuffed Pepper Recipe
This recipe is so easy to customize in order to fit into your diet or flavor preference. I have made this easy keto stuffed peppers recipe with sausage, ground venison, and beef.
Every creation seemed to come out better than the last but I think these keto-stuffed bell peppers are best with sausage while my husband says that he prefers them with ground venison.
You can customize your own keto stuffed peppers by adding in extra veggies or less sauce, whatever you prefer, the possibilities are endless.
Leave out the meat and make these low carb stuffed peppers vegetarian.
Explore a range of cheese options to discover the perfect match for your palate. Whether it’s the boldness of sharp cheddar or use a cup grated parmesan, the type of cheese you select can profoundly influence the overall taste of the dish.
You can even add soft cheeses to create gooey keto stuffed bell peppers with cream cheese and ground beef. Or add in some cabbage for a delightful keto stuffed peppers with cabbage recipe.
Enhance the vibrancy and visual appeal of your stuffed peppers by introducing a handful of finely chopped fresh herbs. Think of the aromatic touch that parsley or cilantro can lend to the filling mixture, bringing an additional layer of liveliness and color.
Infuse a zesty twist by introducing a dollop of salsa or diced tomatoes with green chilies into the filling mixture. This tangy addition introduces a delightful contrast that elevates the complexity of flavors.
If you’re up for a little heat, inject a dash of red pepper flakes or a sprinkling of cayenne pepper while preparing the filling. This subtle infusion of spiciness offers an exciting kick that tantalizes the taste buds and keeps every bite intriguing.
Add in more sauce to create keto stuffed peppers Italian style that resembles a keto lasagna stuffed peppers recipe.
Keto Stuffed Bell Pepper Ingredients
- Bell Peppers- Choose from red, green, or yellow to make this recipe for low carb stuffed peppers. I use a combination of all three whenever I make this recipe because everyone in my family has a favorite color and I like to give them a selection to choose from.
- Cauliflower Rice- I usually pick up the steamable bags of cauliflower rice because it really cuts down on extra cooking time.
- Diced Garlic- I love the flavors that diced garlic brings to this recipe but if you aren’t a fan of garlic, feel free to leave this out.
- Garlic- As I have mentioned, I love the flavor of garlic, so I add quite a bit to this recipe but if you are not as big of a fan of this flavor, feel free to leave it out.
- Onion Powder- Onion powder adds a nice flavor to this recipe and really brings out the delicious flavor of the peppers.
- Italian Seasoning- A sprinkle of Italian seasoning elevates the overall flavor profile of the dish, adding a delightful Mediterranean touch that complements the other ingredients.
- Salt- A dash of salt enhances the natural flavors of the ingredients and balances the taste of the dish.
- Pepper- A pinch of pepper adds a hint of spiciness and depth to the stuffed peppers, enhancing the overall taste experience.
- Small Onion- Adding a finely chopped small onion lends a subtle, savory sweetness to the mixture, contributing to the well-rounded taste of the stuffed peppers.
- Tomato Sauce- Incorporating a dollop of rich tomato sauce introduces a comforting saucy element that intertwines with the other flavors, infusing a comforting Italian essence to the dish.
- Mozzarella Cheese- A generous layer of melted mozzarella cheese blankets the stuffed peppers, creating a gooey, creamy indulgence that marries all the ingredients together with its irresistible, stretchy texture and mild, milky flavor.
How to Make Keto Stuffed Bell Peppers
The first step to making the perfect low carb keto bell peppers is to pick out the perfect peppers.
When picking out a bell pepper for this keto stuffed peppers recipe, keep in mind that the word on the street is, peppers with three bumps on the bottom are best for cooking.
When cutting the peppers try to stay near the top, you can always go back and cut more off but it is impossible to add more once you have cut too much off.
Your cut doesn’t have to be perfect, just remove the tops and hollow out each bell pepper. Be sure to rinse them out completely before moving on to the next step.
Boil the peppers until they are soft but be sure not to overcook them as they will fall apart. I usually boil them for about 7 minutes then I drain the water and set them aside to cool.
In the meantime, fry up the meat you are using in a skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat.
I used ground venison when taking these photos but I have used a variety of meats to make this recipe.
After browning the meat in a large skillet over medium heat, add in the diced onions and garlic, as well as all of the seasonings.
Cook together for about 5-10 minutes to ensure all of the flavors mix together and that the onions begin to soften up a bit then add in the sauce.
Place the peppers in a casserole baking dish and fill them up with the meat and sauce mix.
Top them with cheese and bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees until the cheese on top is melted.
Tips for Making the Best Keto Stuffed Bell Peppers
While this recipe is really simple to make, there are a few things you can do to ensure that your recipe comes out great every time.
If you are using frozen cauliflower rice, be sure to drain the excess liquid before filling the peppers.
This step helps to prevent the filling from becoming too soggy and ensures a better texture for the stuffed peppers.
Do the same with the bell peppers as you do not want to leave any liquid inside.
Drain them by turning them upside down and shaking them out before filling them with meat, cheese, and all of the seasonings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Bell Peppers Ok On Keto?
Yes! Bell peppers are a common keto diet staple. Given their modest carbohydrate content and abundant array of nutrients, bell peppers are a versatile ingredient that can be embraced in a wide array of recipes without causing a notable dent in your daily net carb allowance.
What Color Bell Peppers are Keto Friendly?
Green bell peppers actually have the least amount of carbs but all bell pepper colors—red, yellow, and orange—remain keto-friendly options, with only slight variations in net carbs.
This makes it easy to incorporate a variety of colors into your low-carb or keto diet while enjoying their vibrant flavors and nutritional benefits.
What is a Great Side Dish to Make With Leftover Bell Peppers?
A great side dish to make with leftover bell peppers could be Keto Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup. This easy keto dish takes the flavors of stuffed bell peppers and transforms them into a comforting soup.
More Healthy Recipes You’ll Love
Don’t forget to sign up for the free newsletter so you can get keto recipes right in your inbox. Follow along on social media so you never miss another low carb recipe again!
- 6 Bell Peppers
- 1 1/4 to 1 /2 Cups of Cauliflower Rice (depending on size of peppers)
- 4 tablespoons of Diced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 lb of Ground Meat
- 1 24 ounce can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup of Mozzarella Cheese
- Cut the tops off of bell peppers. Be sure to rinse them out completely before moving on to the next step.
- Boil the peppers until they are soft but be sure not to overcook them as they will fall apart. I usually boil them for about 7 minutes then I drain the water and set them aside to cool.
- Brown the meat. Add in the diced onions and garlic, as well as all of the seasonings. Cook together for about 5-10 minutes to ensure all of the flavors mix together and that the onions begin to soften up a bit then add in the sauce.
- Place the peppers in a casserole dish and fill them up with the meat and sauce mix.
- Top them with cheese and bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees until the cheese on top is melted. This usually takes my oven about 10 minutes.