Skip to Content

Luckily I Made it Out Alive

On February 24,2016 as my husband climbed into bed for the night, I asked him to take me to the emergency room. I waited until the last possible minute to make this request only because I was trying to decide for myself if it had actually come to the point where I needed medical intervention. For the past 2 weeks I had been practically bedridden due to a mystery illness that I just couldn’t diagnose on my own. I wasn’t sure if it was just the Ulcerative Colitis I had been diagnosed with years ago but one thing I knew for sure was that at this point, I needed to get to the hospital, fast.

As we pulled up to the ER my husband called ahead to ask for assistance in getting me out of the backseat where I was trying my best not to get sick all over my car. The nurse wheeled me in where she began checking my vitals and once my dangerously out of whack numbers popped up on her screens she announced over the speakers that she would need an entire team to assist her in stabilizing me.

I was apparently as sick as I felt and because of that some of this is a little hazy but I do remember feeling the breeze on my face as she raced me to a room and the team of hospital staff rushing into the room to help me. Through the crowd I could see my husband at the back of the room and at that moment I wanted him to hold my hand more than anything because I was so scared but I knew he couldn’t. They were coming at me from all angles trying to get an IV into my dehydrated body, ripping my clothes off so that they could hook me up to a heart monitor, as they tried to draw blood and get the rest of my vitals.

I made it out alive pt.1

Once I was stabilized my nurse informed me that I would be going for some imaging in the radiology department to check and see if I had what they referred to as “surgery belly”.  Obviously I was hoping for the outcome to be that there was a quick fix and that I would get back to living my life as the healthy person I was just a couple of weeks ago.

When I returned from the imaging and the nurse informed me that I was not a candidate for surgery, I was relieved. The thought never crossed my mind that not only was he wrong about the surgery but I would end up having the one surgery I dreaded for years after my diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis and to make matters even worse, I wouldn’t get to leave that hospital for another 49 days.


Click here to read Part 2. Subscribe to the newsletter to receive an email alert when the next post is available.



About Thirty Something Super Mom

Melissa Dixon Thirty Something Super Mom
Thirty Something Super Mom | Website

My journey started after a Crohn's disease diagnosis, inspiring a commitment to well-being. This site shares my distinctive approach to healthy living with my collection of nutritious recipes that boast authentic flavors, mimicking the indulgence of traditional dishes. I love sharing guilt free recipes for low carb, keto, gluten-free, paleo, and the specific carbohydrate diet. I also share tips on natural living, including homemade cleaners and cleaning hacks. I also share my experience as a veterinary technician and pet groomer, to integrate pet health tips, homemade dog food recipes, and grooming insights to ensure your pets thrive.

Jennifer Medeiros

Wednesday 20th of April 2016

Wow. Totally scary! Wish you all the best & thanks for sharing your story!

Tami Qualls

Wednesday 20th of April 2016

Forty nine days in the hospital had to be miserable. It aggravates me when a doctor misdiagnoses, but I try to remember that they are human. I am thankful you are able to tell your story. I'll be watching for part two.


Wednesday 20th of April 2016

First, I'm glad you're ok! Second, I know how scary stuff like this can be. We went through a really scary situation with my daughter when she was two that resulted in three surgeries and years of dr visits. Thankfully, she's completely recovered.


Wednesday 20th of April 2016

I have been through 3 surgeries due to digestive issues , it is very scary , especially when the Doctors really can't give a proper prognosis until they get inside. I was lucky , my Doctor was very good and honest about my procedures and did his job without fear of the insurance companies or "taboo" diagnosis... Im very glad you have gotten through this phase and I pray your future is bright with recovery...Please keep us all posted on your journey.

Kristy @ Mommy Hates Cooking

Wednesday 20th of April 2016

So sorry that you were so sick. I can only imagine what was going through your mind as everything was happening! So scary. I'm anxious to read the rest of the story!