This no sugar added apple cake proves that dessert doesn’t have to be unhealthy. This low carb and gluten free apple cake uses the natural sweetness of real apples to create a healthier version of this Fall favorite that doesn’t skimp on flavor.
Apple lovers who are cutting back on sugar and embracing a low-carb lifestyle will find this no sugar added apple cake to be a delightful revelation. The careful selection of ingredients, including Granny Smith apples for their tartness and texture, makes this cake a guilt-free indulgence that doesn’t compromise on taste.
- No Sugar Apple Cake Ingredients
- How to Make Sugar Free Apple Cake
- The Best Apples for Baking Apple Cake Without Sugar
- Tips for Making Low Carb Apple Cake
- Storage Instructions
- FAQs About Making Apple Cake Without Sugar
- More Easy No Sugar Added Apple Recipes You'll Love
Don’t miss this sugar free apple cobbler recipe that is made in the crockpot and is gluten free as well as Specific Carbohydrate Diet friendly.
No Sugar Apple Cake Ingredients
- Almond Flour Blend: This ingredient is a great low carb swap for all purpose flour and can be used in a variety of low-carb and gluten free recipes.
- Refined Coconut Oil: Utilize refined coconut oil to avoid a coconut taste. Alternatively, butter-flavored coconut oil is a suitable option.
- Sour Cream: This ingredient is often used in low carb recipes but if you prefer you can swap it out for Greek yogurt or even cottage cheese.
- Stevia: Add stevia for a sugar-free sweetener, enhancing the cake’s sweetness without added sugar.
- Eggs: Eggs play a crucial role in this recipe, contributing to the cake’s structure, moisture, and texture, ensuring a delightful and well-balanced final product.
- Vanilla Extract: Enhance the flavors with vanilla extract, a baking essential.
- Baking Powder: Include aluminum-free baking powder as a leavening agent for a well-risen cake.
- Granny Smith Apples: Opt for fresh Granny Smith apples to infuse both tartness and sweetness. For keto dieters, Jicama can be a substitute using the provided method.
- Brown Sugar Sweetener: Choose imitation brown sugar sweetener for a perfect swap in this no sugar added recipe.
- Melted Butter: Ensure the butter is melted for optimal results in the cake.
- Cinnamon: Incorporate cinnamon, a necessity for any apple recipe, to enrich the flavor profile.
- Pinch of Salt: Elevate the overall taste by adding a pinch of salt to complement the other flavors in the keto apple cake.
How to Make Sugar Free Apple Cake
The first step in making this no sugar added apple cake is to preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, melted refined coconut oil, sour cream, stevia, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt to form a dense and flavorful batter.
Meanwhile in another bowl, craft the apple cinnamon filling by peeling and chopping Granny Smith apples, blending them with Swerve brown sugar, melted butter, almond flour, and cinnamon.
Prepare a baking pan with cooking spray.
Mix the cake ingredients thoroughly and spread the thick batter evenly in the pan. Layer the filling on top of the batter.
Bake at 350°F for approximately 40 minutes or until the cake achieves a firm texture.
Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center; it should come out with a few moist crumbs when the cake is ready.
Don’t miss these 37 Delicious Apple Recipes
The Best Apples for Baking Apple Cake Without Sugar
- Granny Smith: Known for its firm texture and tartness, ideal for pies and cakes.
- Honeycrisp: Offers a harmonious blend of sweetness and tartness, enhancing overall baking experiences.
- Jonagold: A crossbreed with a sweet-tart flavor, contributing to the complexity of your recipes.
- Fuji: Brings a crisp texture and natural sweetness, versatile for various baked treats.
- Pink Lady: Delivers a sweet-tart flavor with a firm texture, ensuring consistent bites in apple pies or cakes.
- Cortland: Slightly tart with a tender texture, perfect for pies and cakes with a visually appealing presentation.
- Golden Delicious: Though less firm, introduces a sweet and mellow flavor, enhancing various baked goods including apple pie filling as well as apple cake.
Tips for Making Low Carb Apple Cake
This recipe calls for granny smith apples due to their texture and tartness, if you prefer to use a different apple for this recipe choose a variety with a balance of sweetness and tartness that holds up well during baking.
Popular choices include Honeycrisp, Jonagold, Fuji, Pink Lady, Cortland, and Golden Delicious apples.
When preparing the apples, ensure they are peeled, cored, and cut into chunks for the best texture in the cake. To prevent browning, toss the apple slices with lemon juice or submerge them in water with lemon juice before incorporating them into the recipe.
Allow the cake to set before slicing to ensure the baked apples to set properly. For an optimal presentation, let the cake sit in the pan for ten minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once the Apple Cake Without Sugar has fully cooled, you can store it in several ways:
Room Temperature: Wrap the cake in kitchen wrap or foil and keep it at room temperature for up to three days.
Refrigerator: If you want to extend its freshness, store the cake in the refrigerator for up to five days. Make sure to wrap it well to prevent it from drying out.
Freezer: For longer storage, you can freeze the cake for up to a couple of months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in an airtight container to protect it from freezer burn. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
FAQs About Making Apple Cake Without Sugar
Are sugar-free cakes healthy?
Opting for sugar-free cakes presents a compelling alternative, particularly for individuals prioritizing stable blood sugar levels. These cakes often feature alternative sweeteners like stevia or xylitol, steering clear of the blood sugar spikes associated with traditional sugar consumption. This is great for individuals managing diabetes or anyone mindful of maintaining consistent blood sugar levels. Choosing sugar-free cakes not only caters to a sweet tooth but also aligns with health-conscious decisions, offering a flavorful yet mindful indulgence.
How Many Net Carbs Are In An Apple?
A medium-sized fresh apple with skin (3″ diameter) has 25.1g total carbs, 19.3g net carbs, 0.3g fat, 0.5g protein, and 95 calories.
More Easy No Sugar Added Apple Recipes You’ll Love
Consider signing up for the free newsletter so you never miss another easy recipe again!
This no sugar added apple cake is gluten free and low carb. This healthy version of the classic cake is super easy to make and is bursting with apple cinnamon flavor.
- 2 & a 1/2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup refined coconut oil melted
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup Stevia
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 granny smith apples peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Swerve brown sugar
- 1 & 1/2 sticks of butter melted
- 2 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 1/2 cups of almond flour form the hearty base, complemented by 1/2 cup of melted refined coconut oil, enhancing the richness.
Add 1/2 cup of sour cream, while 1/2 cup of Stevia brings sugar-free sweetness. Enhance the flavor with 4 eggs and 2 teaspoons each of vanilla and baking powder. A touch of salt, at 1/2 teaspoon, elevates the overall taste.
For the Apple Cinnamon Filling, peel and chop 2 Granny Smith apples, combining them with a cup of Swerve brown sugar, 1 1/2 sticks of melted butter, 2 tablespoons of almond flour, and a tablespoon of cinnamon for a flavorful and spiced mixture.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Mix the cake ingredients thoroughly and spread the thick batter evenly in the pan. Layer the filling on top of the batter.
Bake at 350°F for approximately 40 minutes or until the cake achieves a firm texture. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center; it should come out with a few moist crumbs when the cake is ready.
When preparing the apples, ensure they are peeled, cored, and cut into chunks for the best texture in the cake.
To prevent browning, toss the apple slices with lemon juice or submerge them in water with lemon juice before incorporating them into the recipe.
Allow the cake to be fully set before slicing to ensure the baked apples are set properly.
For an optimal presentation, let the cake sit in the pan for ten minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving Calories 233Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 62mgSodium 185mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 2gSugar 14gProtein 4g
The nutrition in recipes is caluculate by AI, mistakes happen. It is highly recommended to check carb counts to make sure these recipes fit into your diet.
About Thirty Something Super Mom
My journey started after a Crohn's disease diagnosis, inspiring a commitment to well-being. This site shares my distinctive approach to healthy living with my collection of nutritious recipes that boast authentic flavors, mimicking the indulgence of traditional dishes. I love sharing guilt free recipes for low carb, keto, gluten-free, paleo, and the specific carbohydrate diet. I also share tips on natural living, including homemade cleaners and cleaning hacks. I also share my experience as a veterinary technician and pet groomer, to integrate pet health tips, homemade dog food recipes, and grooming insights to ensure your pets thrive.